Instructions for Submitting a Paper or Panel Proposal
To submit a paper or panel proposal to the Program Committee for this annual meeting, you must have an authenticated account on our website. If you are a current member of the BHC or have previously registered an account on our website, you are automatically able to upload a proposal. If you are not a BHC member, simply create an account (it is free).
Prepare Your Materials
Read the “Roadmap” to the Proposal Process
BHC member and 2019-2020 President of the BHC Edward Balleisen has prepared a document, “Submitting Proposals for the Business History Conference Annual Meeting: A Roadmap to the Process,” which explains policies of the society regarding proposals and offers several helpful suggestions regarding how best to approach the proposal process. The guide is useful for both first-time and previous attendees of the BHC annual meeting and should be consulted prior to developing a proposal.
Note also that a “Session Organizer” tool is available to help presenters find additional panelists.
Panel proposals (whether for regular panels or roundtable formats) need the following materials:
- Title of the proposed panel
- Names and contact information for chair and discussant(s), if known
- A brief (up to 300 words) statement summarizing the rationale for the panel
- For each presentation on the panel: title (if not a roundtable presentation), 300-word abstract, and 1-page CV for each presenter. These materials can be submitted by either the panel organizer or individual presenters, with detailed instructions provided by email once the panel organizer has submitted the initial panel submission.
Individual Paper Proposal
Individual paper proposals include both solo submissions (which the Program Committee add to a panel session) and papers or roundtable presentations for a panel already organized and submitted using the instructions above. To submit an individual paper proposal, you will need:
- Title of the proposed paper (if not a roundtable presentation)
- a 300-word abstract (if not a roundtable presentation)
- a one-page curriculum vitae (CV) in text format; for multiple presenters please combine all 1-page CVs into a single text document
- to determine whether you are eligible for the Kerr Prize or Trescott Prize
Submit a Panel/Roundtable Proposal (login required)
Submit a Paper Proposal (login required)