Join the BHC
The Business History Conference was created in 1954. It is a tax-exempt, not-for-profit organization devoted to encouraging all aspects of research, writing, and teaching about business history and the environment in which business operates. You will find the current bylaws, as well as a complete list of BHC presidents and of current trustees and officers in the About section of our site. Today, the organization is international in scope, with nearly 400 members, approximately 30 percent of whom reside outside North America.
The Business History Conference welcomes new members and particularly encourages graduate students, scholars outside the United States, and those practicing business history within areas of specialization outside history and economic history to join.
The benefits of joining the Business History Conference include:
- a subscription to the organization's scholarly journal Enterprise & Society
- lower registration rates for the Annual Meeting and free registration for emerging scholars
- access to our digital Expertise Database
- connections to the community of emerging scholars represented by the Emerging Scholars Committee and scholars in other interest groups such as the Women in Business History and Business Historians in Business Schools
- and access to a network of renowned global scholars in business history
We urge members to subscribe to the organization's electronic discussion group, H-Business, and our blog, The Exchange, for quick and easy ways to engage in conversation and to receive notices of events of interest. Also, we post announcements on Twitter @TheBHCnews, the BHC´s Facebook Group, and LinkedIn.
The BHC welcomes donations to its two open endowments: the Chandler Fund and our unrestricted endowment fund. The Alfred Chandler Fund was created in 1999 in his honor to support emerging scholars take part in the activities of the Business History Conference. Our unrestricted endowment fund supports the BHC’s general operating budget. Both are operated as endowments with expenditures limited to 5% of the fund’s amount.
Donations can be made using the "Donate" button at the top of this page, or during the process of joining or renewing membership.